Sunday, September 14, 2008

iTunes 8: provisional tests indicate OK, detailed reports needed

WBC has performed basic testing of Cast Away 2.6 and iDupe 2.5.2 on both OS X 10.5.4 on an Intel MacBookPro and on OS X 10.4.11 on a PPC G5. On these systems, we encountered no problems with iTunes 8.0 at all.

This is not to say there are no potential problems -- just that we did not encounter any. To test further, we will need detailed reports from anyone having problems, including:

• Did the error occur when the iTunes license agreement screen was still active? If so, try again. That is a likely culprit.

• Can you reproduce any errors after iTunes 8 has finished initial processing?

• If so, can you reproduce any consistently?

• The exact error message and how it was shown to you.

• Logs from the application in debug mode. (Turn on debug mode in help menu, perform action to get error, then copy logs and send to WBC.)

In short, we'd like to hold off on recommending upgrading to iTunes 8 until we've received more detailed reports. However our determination thus far is there are no major problems.

3 comments:

Christian said...

This information was released about 3 months ago. Do you have an update on how iDupe behaves? I am interested in a Tool that helps me to clean my Library but I would prefer that it actually works without destroying my Music collection. And I am on iTunes 8, as my Macbook came with it.

Cheers
Chris

WBC... said...

There are no known problems specifically with iTunes 8.x and the latest version of iDupe. Sorry for delayed response to this comment but I have been traveling for the past month (see blog posts above.)

Christian said...

Happy New Year, and I hope your travels were fun :)

Thanks for the update, I just tried it and it seems to work fine. I will let you know if I run into problems.

Cheers
Chris